Every Spring time me and Jon would plan a trip for ourselves or for the whole family. The trip would either be local or abroad. This year we felt that it was time to bring the whole bunch abroad. And our destination of choice…The happiest place on Earth, Hong Kong Disneyland. This trip marks a lot of first for us. It was Saffron’s early birthday celebration, to mark his 7th birthday and the first time for the twins to go out of the country and to ride the plane. So, what’s our itinerary like? We were booked for 4 days and 3 nights, for the whole duration of the trip: Let me give you the rundown of the day to day happenings.
Here’s our first day: Ph Airport – Hk Airport – Hotel and City side trip.
The whole family was overly excited about this trip, we even use this as a bribe for the kids to behave. Yeah, I know bribing is not good, but who can resist? hahaha!
One of the things that I do when we travel is making an excel file of things to wear, this way we know how many things to pack for the trip. In my rule, we always have 2 extra sets of clothes as emergency clothes. Having kids means there is a chance that things might spill into their clothes or in some case if they get sick or accidentally vomit. so, as a rule, we have extra emergency clothes ready.
What to put on your file?
- Put the date and destination: Like here I place the departure date – April 16 and the time of departure.
- Arrival date and time + destination — Hong Kong 12:20 noon – This way you know if you also need to add some snacks on your baby bag.
- Also, include the weather forecast – In this case, its 19-23 degrees (that’s a jacket weather) with a chance of rain.
- For our PJ’s we also have 2 sets – 1 set for the whole entire stay and another set as extra in-case of emergency.
- Also, make a list of your medicine – for Fever, colds, tummy (erceflora) and cough.
- ointments – papaw, bruise sticks, arnica gel etc.
- Essential oils for the ff: tummy, vertigo, cough, colds, and sleep.
- Toiletries: kids gel, sunblock, powder, night time essentials (mom)
After we sort all the things we need for the trip we put all those inside packing cubes with markings (D-1 for day 1) etc. So when we get to our hotel we just pull the packing cube according to day it’s needed. Much less hassle to sort things and easier to be organized too –married to OC husband.
Must have when we travel? – What to wear? What to bring?
- Let your kids wear bright colored clothes. If you noticed in the above file I put there twins will wear yellow banana set. Why is it important to let them wear bright colored clothes? so you can easily spot them in a crowd just in case you lost sight of one of your kids (I hope not).
- It’s a must to bring a stroller with you. Why? well, strollers can help you control your kids. hahaha! cause you know they are just seated there and strapped in. No matter how behave your kids are they are still curious about all the first in their eyes so for sure if they are not strapped in you’ll be running around like a headless chicken. Here are other reasons why you should bring a stroller with you, with a stroller you’ll be given priority in line and of course instant push cart for things. hahaha!
- I also carry with me kids tracker by RevX
- A carry on luggage – we put all our jackets inside (we have 5 in total), some snacks (hard to buy food in our airport) and some important things such as –wipes, ointments, and extra shirts. We bring this so to free our hands.
- A backpack or knapsack as mom bag. Whenever I travel I always use a knapsack, again to free my hand.
*Umbrella type strollers are not allowed on overhead compartments inside the aircraft, you will have to leave it by the aircraft door. Make sure it has a name and barcode (ask your ground flight attendant to give you one). Once you arrive HK you can pick up your stroller near the baggage carousel assinged for your flight, not in the carousel.
The OOTDS – Airport Fashion:
Our choice of carrier to Hong Kong was Philippine Airlines (PAL) why?
- Cause they have their own terminal, easier for us to deal with kids.
- They serve rice meals.
Kids behaved well inside the plane despite that we don’t have a TV on board. If your flying with PAL you must DL (download) the myPalPlayer App. This app works only while on board PAL aircraft and Wifi to operate this app is FREE on board too. This is their way to compensate for the lack of TV/monitor on board. If your traveling with kids – it’s all best to request for the kid’s meal. I called PAL 2 days before our departure and requested for the kids’ meal. In fairness to PAL they accommodated our request and served the kids first. The kids got burger steak meal with rice and gravy + apple juice and KitKat bar. The only downside of this is that not all kids like mushy things. I understand that the choice they made since it’s less maintenance. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I’m ordering in a resto and can request for everything but, since you have this option might as well give choices.
my suggestions for kid meals on board PAL:
- Chicken tenders or nuggets + rice + gravy (on the side) + orange juice.
- Burger steak (done medium well) + rice + gravy (on the side) + juice
- Pork or Chicken Adobo (the majority of the kids are familiar with this one and safer too) + Rice + juice
- Pls, change your dessert options too. – Why not serve chocolate mouse, brownies or pastillas – over carrot cake and tiramisu
*Again, before you travel better to DL the app just to be sure you are covered while on the plane.
Our trip usually booked thru travel agency so its less hassle for us. When we got to Hong Kong we made arrangements for pick-up from airport to hotel transfer.
Whenever I visit Hong Kong we go for Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel (The white hotel). Rooms are bigger and make us feel that we are in a castle. Will post more about the hotel in my next post.
The City Side Trip – Food trip + Skyscraper:
We planed a quick side trip to the city to treat the kids the MTR ride. From Disney Hotel we took the shuttle service to Disney station. It was a hit for the kids cause the whole train is Disney inspired. From Disney station, we went to the sunny bay station then to Tsim Sha Tsui station.
When we got there, we went straight to Gateway mall to try 1 particular restaurant as per the request of Chef Jon and the resident duck monster aka Chubyeol aka Bleu. No other than The M&C Duck restaurant. M&C duck does not accept reservations, we tried while here in Manila to reserve but they refuse. We tried also on that day, and they again refused. The restaurant opens at 6 pm so we waited in line.
what did we order?
The famous M&C duck is served on a platter, unlike here in Manila. They will serve you the duck on the side while being cut. Here in M&C the serve it to you ready on a platter with the usual pairing that’s the wrap, sauce and some cucumber and leeks.
Under these layers of crunchy, crispy skin is the well seasoned and juicy duck meat.
surprisingly these dish is really good. Fresh, light, and delicious.
We also ordered the crab claw that was recommended to us by our server. These were Saffron favorite, I expected it to be made of crab sticks and then turned into a croquet type, but turned out it really was made of real crab claw. It was sure a delight.
One of my favorite type of fish is Cod, as soon I see that on the menu I would order it because I know cod fish are really good. This dish is fish cod with three (3) sauce. The 3 sauces are mustard, ketchup and I think mayo. I was a bit disappointed with this because I felt the sauces overpowered the fish. Ok, I admit I did not know how to fully eat this dish like do I mix all the 3 sauce then??? but in general, the fish is really good, just not a fan of the sauces. PS: the mustard is it spicy/hot like wasabi — so you might want to go easy on it.
Shop 3319, level 3, Gateway Arcade
Harbour City, 17 Canton Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2347 6898
Daily: 11.30am – 4pm, 6pm – 10.30pm
Nearest Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
After our M&C dinner we went to walk inside the mall, but knowing me the-not-a-mall-person, I just went for ice cream. What better brand of Ice cream to seal this evening feast? No other than Godiva Ice Cream.
Godiva Shop – 3222, Level 3, Gateway Arcade, Harbour City, 3-27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China 852-21755701
That’s it for our first day — so far we survived it. hahaha!